There is a saying – “Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.” What that means is that 80% of your success at weight loss or getting lean is dependent on your diet.
When people think of weight loss, they think they need lots of cardio, moderate amounts of resistance and little attention to diet. Their priorities are all skewed. The majority of the attention must be given to diet. Moderate amounts of resistance training and just 2 to 3 days of cardio a week.
Weight loss is a simple concept. Putting the concept to practice requires Herculean amounts of self-discipline. The 7 foods listed below will sabotage your weight loss efforts. There is absolutely no doubt that you have everything to gain and nothing to lose by giving these foods a pass.
The problem is that many people love these comfort foods and hate giving them up. Sugar is addictive. The more sugary foods you eat, the more you’ll crave. So, by eliminating them slowly, you’ll slowly condition your body to crave for these foods less and less.
The day will come when you won’t crave for these processed junk foods. When your body becomes healthy, its tastes will change. That’s why fit people are constantly able to make wise food choices.
Once you have gotten over the hump of ditching these foods, the rest is easy.
1. Doughnuts are probably one of the unhealthiest foods on the planet. They consist of nothing more than refined carbohydrates and sugar. They are high in calories, fats, carbs and other preservatives. Continued consumption of doughnuts will lead to weight gain digestive problems.
2. Fast food. Enough said.
3. Chips are just about everybody’s guilty pleasure. Ah… the joys of crunching on them while watching a movie. Chips have high levels of trans fats due to the hydrogenated vegetable oils that are used to fry the chips. This will lead to weight gain and cardiovascular disease.
4. French fries. It has been said that French fries are more deadly than cigarettes. There may be some truth in this. High in trans fats and carcinogens both of which can cause cancer.
5. Bagels are another crowd pleaser. It has a very high glycemic index. It causes insulin spikes this creates inflammation in the body along with other health issues. Acne, body aches, clogged arteries, mood swings, etc. are all side effects of unstable insulin levels… and of course, weight gain.
Skip the morning bagel. It’s better to skip the bagel than go for a 30 minute walk. That roughly gives you an idea of how detrimental it is.
6. Microwaved popcorn. All the rage these days. Convenient, tasty and fun. Yet, they contain carcinogens and diacetyl. Both cause cancer.
7. Cereals are another fat gain culprit. Most cereals are not good for your body despite being marketed as “healthy natural foods”. There is hardly anything natural about cereals. They are highly processed foods that can harm you in the long run.
Just avoiding the unhealthy foods is half the battle won. Always remember the long term effects. Don’t give in to unhealthy pleasures in the short term which may lead to suffering in the long run.
And now that you know the 7 foods to avoid, here are 7 foods you SHOULD eat for fat loss:
Yours in health,