So excited to share this recipe!
Recently I asked my members to submit their own healthy creations as part of my Healthy Holiday Recipe Challenge.
I was blown away by all the yummy and healthy recipes that were shared.
This recipe was in the top five out of hundreds of entries! Thanks to Fit Rise member, Laurie Bigelow Smith of Richfield, Minnesota who submitted this crunchy goodness.
Laurie writes: “I love crunchy crackers especially with soup and chili season here. I usually have a couple in the A.M. with almond butter before I workout. The original recipe that inspired me was from Ohsheglows.com“
Crunchy Energy Bites
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 1 large garlic clove grated
- 1-inch ginger grated (2 teaspoons ground)
- 1/2 inch turmeric grated (1 teaspoon ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
1. Heat oven to 300ºF.
2. Place all ingredients in a bowl (use stainless steel or glass if using turmeric, it stains).
3. Combine until all liquid is absorbed (there should be no pool of liquid at the bottom, add a couple more tablespoons of chia seeds if it is not absorbing it all).
4. On a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper, scoop seed mixture onto paper and using the back of a spoon and your fingertips push the mixture over the pan.
5. It should cover most of the cookie sheet.
6. You want to push it out from the middle. You want it to be thinner so it will be crispy.
7. Bake at 300ºF for 25 minutes.
8. Remove and using a pizza cutter cut into strips.
9. Turn each strip over and place back in the oven.
10. Bake and check at 5 minute intervals until crispy and light brown.
11. It will take about 20 more minutes and they should break easily when done.
12. Remove and cut crosswise with the pizza cutter, they should snap easily.
13. Store in an airtight container and if the get soft toss them in the oven for 5 minutes.
** The ‘leftover’ crumbs in your container are great for ‘breadcrumbs’ for chicken, fish, and cauliflower steaks or to add to your salad. The toppings are endless!
I love almond butter, apple slices and slices of avocado.
Yours in health,
P.S. Please share this healthy recipe with your friends and I'd love to hear from you in the comments below.
You may also be interested in: