This silky chocolate pie recipe is made in a buttery almond flour crust for a healthy dessert made to satisfy!
If healthy dessert options leave you scratching your head, whip up this creamy chocolate cacao pie. The no-bake filling firms up in the refrigerator for a hassle-free treat that is equally delicious in the summer and winter months!
Every great pie needs a buttery crust. Blanched almond flour steps in for processed wheat flour along with ghee, a pasture-raised egg, and sea salt for a pie shell that bakes up nice and golden brown. Since it’s such a basic recipe, you can easily use this crust in savory recipes, like quiche.
The silky, dairy-free filling is made possible with soaked raw cashews and creamy canned coconut milk.
Soaking the cashews for at least six hours beforehand helps them blend smoothly in the food processor, while also making them easier to digest.Tweet
Instead of using processed chocolate that is often full of added sugar, this recipe calls for raw cacao powder that adds intense chocolate flavor.
Because raw cacao isn’t heated, its powerful antioxidant compounds (called polyphenols) are intact to fight free radical damage in the body and stave off cardiovascular disease. (1)
Start by lightly greasing a 9-inch pie or tart pan with butter or ghee. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together all ingredients for the crust until a pliable dough is formed. Press the dough evenly into the pie pan and poke holes in the surface with a fork. This will keep the crust from bubbling up while baking. Bake for 10-12 minutes, then cool at room temperature for 15 minutes while preparing the filling.
To create the filling, add all ingredients to a food processor and blend for three minutes or until creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Pour the chocolate filling into the cooled crust and smooth out the surface with a spatula. Refrigerate for two hours to set filling. Dust with cacao powder or decorate with fresh berries if desired. Slice into eight slices and serve chilled.
Yield: 8 servings
- 1½ cups almond flour
- 1 large pasture-raised egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup melted ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked in water 6 hours
- 1/2 cup unsweetened canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder or Cacao Bliss
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF and lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan with ghee.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for the crust and stir well to create a dough.
3. Press the dough evenly into the pie pan. Poke holes in the surface of the crust with a fork and bake for 10-12 minutes.
4. Cool at room temperature for 15 minutes while you prepare the filling.
5. In a food processor, combine all ingredients for the filling and blend until creamy, about three minutes.
6. Pour the filling into the cooled crust and smooth with a spatula.
7. Refrigerate for two hours.
8. Slice the pie into eight slices and serve chilled.
(Special thanks to Jennafer Ashley at PaleoHacks for contributing this recipe to share with you!)
Yours in health and happiness,
P.S. Please share this with everyone you know! After all, who DOESN'T like chocolate pie?! Comment below: Did reading this recipe make you crave chocolate pie?
You might also be interested in: