We all know that a daily workout is one of the keys to staying healthy. We know it makes us feel better and stronger. It clears our heads and helps us sleep better too.
Exercise is good in so many ways, but it takes time out of our already jam-packed day.
If you’ve been struggling to find the time to get in a workout and still do all the other things you want to do during the day, here’s some good news.
There are tons of ways that you can combine your workout with other things, both during your free time and your time at work.Tweet
Let’s take a look at some of the ways you can double up, save time, and get moving!
Working Out at Work
Wouldn’t it be nice if you could just wear your workout clothes to your office or place of work and jog through your day?
Unless you work at a fitness center or daycare, that’s probably not a possibility. But you can get in some real fitness routines without breaking a sweat — or calling attention to yourself. Here are some ideas for workplace workouts:
- Cardio – Take the stairs. Move your feet up and down under your desk. Jog in place at your desk for 5 minutes once an hour. Do squats or jumps at your desk. Instead of phoning or sending an email to a person working on the other side of the office, take a walk over and tell them in person.
- Arm and Shoulder Strength – Do biceps curls with your stapler or tape dispenser. Do triceps dips using a non-rolling chair or desk. Put your hands in front of your chest in prayer position, palms together and press together for 20 seconds. Now grip your two hands in a handshake and pull, holding for 10 seconds. If you have a wall you can use in private, stand a foot away and put your palms on the wall, then lean into the wall and push out 15 times.
- Leg Strength – Still have that private wall? Stand with your back against it, then bend your knees and slide your back down the wall until your thighs are parallel with the floor. Hold for 30 seconds, then push back up. Stand at your desk instead of sitting. Do calf raises while you’re at the printer. When you’re at your desk or in a meeting, squeeze your glutes and do leg raises.
Working Out During “Free” Time
Wish you could be in two places at once? You can do two things at once when you exercise. Try these ideas:
- Bring a pair of headphones to the gym or on your walk and listen to an audiobook. You can also use the time to have a conversation with a family member, friend, or even a business colleague.
- Getting on a treadmill, stationary bike, or elliptical? Bring your iPad or phone with you and catch up on the latest episode of your favorite show.
- Want to spend time with a friend? Invite them along. It’s more fun to walk when you’re with someone you like.
There are lots of ways to sneak that workout in if you think about small chunks of time instead of one long workout. And if you think about combining with things you already love doing, like hanging out with your friends or binge-watching your favorite show, you'll have even more fun!
Yours in health and happiness,
P.S. Please feel free to share this with your friends who are looking for ways to squeeze their workout in during the day. And please comment below — what's your favorite activity to combine with a workout that allows you to get more done?