If you thought that your days of waking up to pimples were behind you, think again. Adult acne is common, and it can be hard to treat.
A lot of the lotions and creams we used when we were teens do the exact wrong thing to adult skin, and can even make it worse.
When you were young, you got acne pimples because of excess oil in your skin glands. But adult acne happens for different reasons, including:
- Hormone changes from getting your period, being pregnant, taking birth control pills, or going into menopause
- Products we use on our hair and skin
- Medications that we take
Acne is an inflammatory response in the body, so the best way to fight it is to use natural anti-inflammatories.Tweet
10 All-Natural Ways to Treat Adult Acne
1. Aloe – You know that aloe is good for burns, but did you know it also fights adult acne?
Cut off a leaf, slice it open and scoop out the gel. Apply directly to your pimple.
You might be surprised to learn you can drink the juice of the aloe plant to reap major health benefits too!
2. Apple cider vinegar – The cure for everything! Apple cider vinegar contains acids that cut redness and treat adult acne.
Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar (make sure the label says it contains “the mother“) and dab on the affected areas.
3. Aspirin – This familiar medicine is made of salicylic acid, which cuts inflammation and dries up pimples.
Mash a pill into powder and mix it with a little water, then dab it onto a pimple.
4. Chamomile – Like green tea, chamomile tea can also take away redness and inflammation.
Open up a tea bag and grind up the contents, then add enough water to make a paste. Dab it onto the pimple.
You can also make a strong cup of chamomile tea and dip a cotton ball into it, then apply to the affected area.
5. Green tea – Green tea is another anti-inflammatory that also has antimicrobial compounds.
Brew a cup, let it cool, then use it as a face wash. You can also place the used tea bag directly on a pimple to make it less red.
6. Honey – Honey is antimicrobial and can clear up an acne outbreak quickly.
Dab some directly onto a pimple. You can also make a cleansing mask of ½ cup of honey mixed with a cup of oatmeal. Apply to your face and leave on for half an hour.
7. Lemon – Lemons disinfect your skin and help keep adult acne away.
Just squeeze a lemon for its juice and apply with a cotton ball. Rinse afterward with cool water.
8. Mint – Did you know that fresh mint can remove oil?
Chop of a handful of fresh mint leaves and mix with yogurt and oatmeal. Leave on your face for ten minutes, then rinse.
9. Tea tree oil – Remember using acne medicines that would dry out your skin? That problem is even worse when you have adult acne.
Instead, use a 5% solution of tea tree oil to dry up pimples. Mix a few drops with 20 to 40 drops of witch hazel and apply with a cotton swab.
10. Witch hazel – Witch hazel is a gentle astringent that will shrink blemishes.
Soak a cotton ball with witch hazel and use it to wipe your face when you wake up in the morning and before going to sleep.
Adult acne can be an unwelcome guest in your grown-up world, but these great tips will help you treat it and get on with adulting!
You might also like:
Yours in health and happiness,
P.S. Feel free to share this with your friends and family who are also struggling with adult acne. And I invite you to comment below. Have you tried any of these remedies?