After my recent trip to Italy, Caprese EVERYTHING has really been on my mind. I love the combination of flavors that fresh basil and mozzarella offers. If you love Caprese salad, you will really love this heartier version.
Portobellos are an excellent source of protein, and riboflavin, a B vitamin that is important for energy, growth and red blood cell production. You can serve it as an appetizer or a meal and it's super easy to make.
Caprese Style Portobellos
- Large Portobello mushroom caps, gills removed
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Fresh mozzarella
- Fresh basil
- Olive oil
- Dill leaves
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
1. Heat oven to 400ºF.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper for easy clean up.
3. Brush the caps and rims with olive oil on each mushroom.
4. Slice cherry or grape tomatoes in half, place in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, add chopped basil, sea salt, and black pepper.
5. Let sit for a few minutes to let the flavors meld.
6. Place mozzarella cheese in the bottom of the mushroom cap, spoon on tomato basil mixture, and bake until the cheese melts and the mushrooms are cooked but not overcooked. Keep an eye on them.
7. Garnish with dill leaves.
Hope you enjoy this healthy taste of Italy knowing that your waistline will love it too!
Yours in Health,
P.S. If you like this recipe, please share it with your friends and I always welcome your comments below.
You may also be interested in: