Ashwagandha is a mouthful, right?
You’ll forgive it for being so hard to pronounce when you see how powerful this holistic herb is for boosting energy and focus.
It’s been used for many thousands of years in Ayurveda (a holistic whole body healing system).
Ashwagandha is popular because research backs its beneficial effects. Just be sure you follow my tips to get quality supplements. (I’ll share them later)
It has a ton of benefits, too many to list here, these 5 are just the start!
Top 5 Ways Ashwagandha Loves Your Body
1. Lowers stress & boosts energy:
Ashwagandha combats stress by maintaining normal levels of adrenal hormones.
One study showed that those on ashwagandha had 28% lower cortisol levels than who didn’t take it.Tweet
Cortisol is the stress hormone made by your body. High levels of it leads to anxiety, depression and obesity.
2. Improves focus and maintains brain health:
As we age, oxygen supply to the brain cells declines which can lead to memory loss and poor brain function.
Ashwagandha helps by increasing the oxygen supply to the brain. A study on rats found that withanalide-A, a compound in the herb increased oxygen supply to the brain.
3. Enhances immune health:
Ashwagandha has 2 active principles:
Sitoindosides VII-X and withaferin A
These 2 factors help fight stress, and boost the immune system. Ashwagandha helps increase the natural killer (NK) cell activity. NK cells fight off cold and flu symptoms.
4. Anti-cancer effects:
Ashwagandha contains withanolides, which are: flavonoids and alkaloids
Withanolides target cancer cells and slow its growth. They slow down cancer cell growth by suppressing their gene expression. Studies show that they even cause early death of cancer cells!
5. Lowers risk of heart disease:
Ashwagandha is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory herb. This combination is great for preventing the oxidation of cholesterol. This lowers the risk of of heart disease and stroke.
A study on rats showed that Ashwagandha lowered the risk of heart disease. Diabetes-induced rats showed lower cholesterol when eating the herb.
Does Ashwagandha help with weight loss?
Although, there are no studies on its weight loss effects. The herb may act as a tool to help in weight loss by lowering stress hormones.
How to choose your Ashwagandha supplement?
- Always buy from a reputable manufacturer.
- Choose supplements that are are free of: cadmium, mercury, arsenic and other heavy metals.
- Pick a manufacturer that tests every batch for: pesticides, pathogens and toxins.
- Buy supplements that show third party lab tests.
- Choose organic if possible.
A few tips to keep in mind
- Ashwagandha is a powerful herb, so be mindful of the dosage. The typical dose is 600-1000 mg 2 times a day.
- Both capsule and powder forms are effective.
- Stop taking this herb for 4 weeks and resume it. This will improve effectiveness.
- Some may feel drowsy with Ashwagandha. If so, consult your doctor for the right dose.
- If you are taking other medications, Ashwagandha may interact with it.
- Ashwagandha is not recommended for pregnant and lactating women.
This ancient Ayurvedic herb is a gift to us. If you’re looking for a natural way to relieve stress and boost energy, Ashwagandha could be your answer!
Yours in Health,
P.S. Feel free to share this article and don’t forget to leave me a comment below.