The first thing I do to start my day is to drink a glass of warm water with lemon. I do this morning ritual on an empty stomach.
A glass of warm water and juice of fresh squeezed lemon (half) is my first drink.
After a straight 7-8 hours without water (sleep) your body needs hydration.
Drinking warm lemon water helps to
•Humidify your digestive tract
•Rejuvenate all your cells instantly
5 Ways lemon water kick starts your body's metabolism
1. Detoxifies: Lemon and warm water are a perfect combo recipe for detox. The warm water flushes out toxins, while the vitamin C in lemon revives the cells.
2. Better digestion: Drinking lemon water helps liver function by flushing out toxins. It stimulates the production of bile, and aids digestion. When liver and bile function at their best, bowels are also regularized.
3. Boosts immunity: Vitamin C is an antioxidant and also has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. It improves sore throat, cold and flu.
4. Alkalises: Once metabolized by the body the acidic nature of lemon becomes alkaline. Your body functions well at an alkaline pH of 7.4. It is this pH the digestive function and body's metabolism operate the best.
5. Antioxidant elixir: Lemons are rich in vitamin C, and other antioxidants. Flavonoid compounds such as flavonol glycosides, and kaempferol are unique antioxidants. They fight off free radicals, and have anti-cancer properties.
Does lemon water help in weight loss?
So far, there are no studies that directly link lemon water leads to weight loss.
But, one possible way lemons can help with weight loss is because of their citric acid content.
Citric acid is a key part of the Kreb's cycle that takes place in every cell. Kreb's cycle also known as the citric acid cycle makes energy from oxygen and food.
In essence, the oxygen and glucose make energy from the food you eat via this cycle.
In other words, it burns calories from food to energy. This is important, because inefficient metabolism leads to production of less energy. Unused calories become fat in your body.
Now you know why drinking warm lemon water in the morning is good!
If you like sipping your coffee first thing in the morning, and wondering how to shift?
Here are some tips to get you started
Start with warm water: If you don't like lemon water as soon as you wake up, start with plain water. A glass of warm water without lemon can help you enjoy the same benefits. Once you get accustomed to this, you can add lemon for more benefits.
Fluoride-free water: Fluoride-free water is safe for drinking. It also improves the taste of lemon water for beginners.
Use a straw: Lemon contains citric acid, which is acidic and can erode your tooth enamel. Avoid plastic and instead use a glass straw to drink.
Wait 15 minutes: Allow 15 minutes before drinking or eating other foods.
Quality Ingredients: Use only organic lemons for making your drink.
Remember, lemon peels are rich in antioxidants, don't toss out the leftover peel. You can dry and store them for use in salads, soups or as a flavoring.
Make warm lemon water your first drink of the day. It is an easy and inexpensive way to improve your health.Tweet
Yours in Health,
P.S. Please share this info. with your friends and I love to hear from you in the comments below. Do you start your day with warm lemon water?